The Internal Controls Focus Group will direct its resources to identifying and sharing best practices for the design,
implementation, and evaluation of internal controls that mitigate risks related to the reliability, security, and
compliance of the Bulk Electric System (BES).
Activities, Duties, and Responsibilities
The objectives below have been identified to address the effective utilization of internal controls to ensure the
reliability and security of the BES.
- Provide internal control tools and best practices to the WICF membership.
- Exchange approaches for the use of internal control tools to ensure the reliability and security of the BES, and to comply with related standards.
- Assess the status of adoption and effectiveness of internal controls within WICF and provide feedback to regulatory authorities.
- Interact with other NERC Regions, and industries, as appropriate, to continually improve use of internal controls to achieve our stated mission.
- Periodic conference calls, webinars, and meetings
- E-mail communication between group members
- Information archive in the WICF Groupsite File Cabinet
- Regular updates at WICF meetings and peer-sharing events as applicable
- Decisions reached by consensus of participating Focus Group members
Participation in the Internal Controls Focus Group is open to all active WICF members. Non-WICF members may
be allowed to participate as a guest with the consent of the Focus Group Chair and WICF Steering Committee
Sponsor. The Focus Group Chair will announce the non-WICF member as a guest during calls and meetings.
If interested in becoming a member, you are encouraged to join by contacting the Chair, Vice Chair, or WICF
Steering Committee Sponsor.
Chair: Eric Olson (email@example.com)
Vice Chair: Jamie Johnson (JLJOHNSON@caiso.com)
WICF Steering Committee Sponsor: Layna McVay (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Focus Group will select the Chair and Vice Chair using simple majority voting. The nominee
that receives the most votes is selected. A Sponsor will be appointed by the WICF Steering Committee.
The focus group reports directly to the WICF Steering committee.
Revisions to the charter will be developed by the Focus Group and approved by the WICF Steering Committee.
Version 1.0 Date: May 2014 - Founding Charter for Internal Compliance Program FG
Version 1.1 Date: August 22, 2014 - Format and link revisions
Version 1.2 Date: October 15, 2014 - Update Chair
Version 1.3 Date: September 4, 2015 - Update Chair & adjust FG Name
Version 1.4 Date: January 18, 2016 - Update Chair
Version 1.5 Date: August 3, 2016 - Update Chair
Version 2.0 Date: July 5, 2019 - Revise to align with template
Version 2.1 Date: February 14, 2020 - Update Sponsor