New Standards Implementaion
Approved by the WICF Focus Group on August 20, 2013
It is the intent of the New Standards Implementation (NSI) Focus Group to monitor standards development activity for new and
revised Standards*, definitions, or criteria related to Standards applicable to NERC Registered Entities in the Western Region
and assist the membership in successfully planning and implementing changes to their compliance program as appropriate.
This group will review and analyze new and revised Standards to determine the potential impacts the new or revised standard may
have on the membership. This diverse group will provide feedback to the membership, as appropriate, to assist in successfully
implementing the Standards into their compliance program prior to the effective date. When necessary, this group will coordinate
with a WECC or NERC liaison to assist in this process.
This Charter is designed to guide the efforts of this volunteer group by:
- Identifying applicable standards subject to compliance monitoring
- Identifying potential impacts
- Establishing industry best practices for compliance, including information sharing
- Maintaining an open line of communications with NERC and WECC for dissemination of information and feedback
- Considering/Discussing/Sharing Compliance options and practices
- Communicating efforts to WICF membership
- Interfacing with regulatory authorities as appropriate
- Supporting WICF initiatives as needed
- Periodic meetings
- Email communication between group members
- Work groups may consider developing templates for achieving compliance
- Develop understanding of future standard impacts
- Work with others as appropriate to understand issues and communicate with WICF Membership
- Provide Focus Group Updates at WICF Meetings as appropriate
Participation in the New Standards Implementation Focus Group is open to all active WICF members. Non-WICF members may be
allowed to participate with the consent of the NSI focus group.
* The NSI Focus Group concentrates on Operations and Planning (693) Standards - CIP (706) is part of a separate
focus group effort.